Sunday, February 12, 2017

Walking through time with my movie collection

Most of my friends know that I love writing.  But my close, close friends know that what I really have a passion about...is movies.

I love going to the theater, and adding my favorite movies to my DVD collection.  One of my favorite hobbies is to go to a used video store and see what flicks I can add to my wall.  As of last count, I have about 900 assorted films, TV series and animated movies.

I've seen nearly every one of these movies at least once.  There are several, however, that I've never actually seen yet.  I bought them because they were (A) movies that, as a film buff, I felt I really should see before I die,  (B) I was mildly interested in the film and it cost less than four bucks or (C) Both.  As the film library grew, so did the number of movies I own but I haven't seen yet.

So I decided to do something this year, starting next week.  Because I have my entire collection catalogued on an Excel Document, I was able to sort them all in order of theatrical release.  So beginning next week, I'm going to set aside time to watch one movie every week.   I'll choose a film from the 1939 that I've either never seen before, or I just haven't watched in years.  The next week I'll pick a movie from the next year, and the next year, and when I catch up to 2017, I'll start all over again.

So this week, I'm going to set aside four hours to finally watch a movie that I own, but I've never actually seen.  And I feel guilty calling myself a movie fan when I've never actually sat down to watch Gone With the Wind.

It's not that I've been intentionally avoiding it.  Generally, I tend to gravitate towards comedies, fantasy, sci-fi and action films.  I haven't seen it yet, but I'm fairly sure there will be far less laser beams and exposed breasts than I generally enjoy seeing. But I bought a copy a year ago, it's time to have a look at this Scarlett and Rhett story.  I'll chat about it next time, so don't ruin it for me by telling me the South loses the war or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment